Thursday, October 24, 2013
After the diesel started running good I tackled some of the woodwork on the boat. The boat had been sitting for 7 years with absolutely no maintenance. All the topside wood was weather beaten with delaminaion of the venier on all the hatches. I made temporary covers for the hatches and then took them to my workshop. I started with the Fwd and Aft hatch. the fwd hatch has a Plexiglas insert that lets light into the fwd cabin. All that one needed was cleaning, sanding and re-varnishing. The aft hatch had the top insert delaminate from the substructure. I removed that chunk of teak and replaced it with a 3mil sheet of ocume I had leftover from one of the Moth boats. I made the insert and then fiberglassed the entire top. It turned out great. The sliding hatch for the companion way was was a little different. The teak veneer was delaminating but only the top layer. I carefully removed that layer and exposed the second teak layer. With some careful sanding I refinished the existing wood.