Friday, April 8, 2016

Spring project!

Well, the winter project turned into a spring project.  I spent most of the winter building a Classic Moth boat based on the Europe Dingy.   That blog is on one of the side bars.
Back to the A30.

I  used 3 mil Sapele plywood for the deck of the moth and had some left over.  Just enough to make the inserts.  I rough cut them based on the old work and hopefully I'll get over this weekend to see how they fit.  I had to do two sections for each side because I just didn't have a big enough chunk to use.

We're also getting hauled out next week so I'll have something to say about that.




Two steps backward.  I brought the parts to the boat and my left brain was not talking to my right brain.  Some how I cut the hole in the wood in the wrong place.    Don't have anymore of this wood and not buying another chunk at 100 bucks a sheet.  We'll have to figure a plan B.
We did get the boat hauled and the bottom done.






Friday, January 1, 2016

Winter project

It's January 1st 2016.   Got over to the boat just to check the bilge.  While there I looked at all the fake wood on the inside of the boat.   Back in the day when this boat was built laminate simulated wood grain was the hot thing.    Think 1966.  50 years ago!!  The seat uprights had this stuff on it and was pealing off.  So I took it all off.  Not sure where this is going to go.  The plywood it was attached to is not in bad shape.  I could sand what is there and then stain  and varnish.  The other option is to find some teak and redo what was there.   The old stuff came off in one piece so it could be used as a template.












Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Boom bail

I've been following a discussion on the A30 email list about bolts in the end of the boom that hold the sheet block and line.  The A30 list doesn't allow pictures to be attached so I figured this was a good way to get a pix out there.  I was at the boat yesterday and tried to figure out what the problem was and realized that some past owner had solved that problem on Slainte.   Apparently the boats came from the factory with the sheet block attached to the end of the boom with a thru bolt.  Over time that bolt will break.  Not good if you are sheeted in with 15kns of wind!  

This is the solution that a previous owner did.   It would be my recomendation for all who still have the bolt in the boom.

Note the holes where the end cap had been secured to the boom.  The big thru bolt takes care of that now.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Ladder in the boat

I got to the boat and put all the parts back together.  The motor cover supports also got a strip of the ocume ply so everything matches. The feet holding off the ladder need some felt pads so they don't scratch but other than that this project is done.

Spring starts tomorrow!!


 
'



 

Saturday, March 14, 2015

Extra feet/Varnish

The ladder that I found was not made for this boat.  It articulates in the middle which is a good thing as it will allow access to the motor.  The bad thing is it needs something to rest on so it doesn't fold up when you step on it.  I found a chunk of teak at Exotic lumber in Annapolis.  Very expensive teak.  10 bucks for a 1x4x1foot.  But it worked great.  I rounded the corners and fit it to the existing legs.  The existing legs were about 4 inches short.  I have a Kreg pocket hole maker.  Great tool.  It allowed me to attach the part without a scarf.  This is the first fit.  I'll test fit it on the boat then fine tune it before using thickened resin to make it permanent to the ladder.

 
One day you get snow, the next day you get 70 degrees.  I put two coats of varnish on.  I got one on in the morning and let it bake in the sun.  Got the second coat on around 3.  I'm going to try and get to the boat on Thursday to see if all this stuff fits.
 
 
 

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Another ladder update

Finally, it's March!  I hope the weather starts to get better.  There is still ice on the bay but my creek is just about free.   I got the parts from Marinepartsdepot.com  Took about a month but it was worth it.  The parts that I used could have been had from West Marine.  They wanted $65 per hinge.   The online store had them for 15 bucks each and they were the same ones.  Along with the hinge I got two barrel bolts to hold the motor cover on.  They also offered free shipping and knocked another 20% off.

Good deal all around.

They also fit and did the job!

I also refinished the motor cover.  I skinned the original with 3 mil Ocume.   I'll varnish everything when I can get outside.



 

 




Monday, February 9, 2015

Ladder update

I got the ladder fitted to the opening.  Easier than I thought.  The underside of the lip is curved.  I made a template of that curve and fitted it to the ladder.  I cut the tip of the ladder to fit and it went in first time.  I have attachment points on order but the store I order them from is closed for winter break.  Guess that's what you do when you sell boat parts during the winter...

I'm also trying to refinish the cabin sole.  The teak is like iron.  I've gone thru two 60 grit belts on my favorite tool.  The belt sander.  Edges and corners get done with a multi tool.  Works great.  I'll keep hammering at this until I see better results.