Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Winter projects

Ever since we got the boat I have not liked the ladder arrangement to get into or out of the cabin.  The current configuration is two steps attached to the front motor cover, then a peg that is attached to the ice box side.  You take two steps up then step on the motor cover, then the peg, then over the opening.  This works for those who know how to get in and out of a boat, but if you have guests on board this becomes problematic.  You have to explain how to get in and out of the cabin.  I'm going to fix that.


I was at Bacons in Annapolis the other day rummaging around their back room.  I found a folding companion way ladder.  Just the right size.  It's been around for a long time and it shows.  I'll take it apart and refinish the teak.  When it's done it will look like it came with the boat.

Right after I got the ladder I put it in the boat to see how it looks.  You can see the two folded up existing steps.

The last picture is the upper half completely stripped of varnish and all the other nasty stuff that was on it.  I used a combination of paint stripper and 60 grit sandpaper.  The lower half is on the work table.  I had planed to strip that section without taking it apart but it didn't work.   

The ladder is hinged. Both half's have 3 steps..  This is the top section.



 





No comments:

Post a Comment