Saturday, April 26, 2014

Pullman sink update

I'm still futzing with the sink but I think I'm about 99% there.  I started with a block of wood, a bowl from Home Goods, a pump from Bacons junk bin, and a chunk of roofing rubber from Ace Hardware.  I also got a scupper from West Marine.  The rubber will ride up on the bulkhead separating the main cabin from the head.  I'll use a flexable tube for the drain going into the head.  The sink water supply will be from a collapsible plastic 5 gallon jug.

                                                                  Sink in the up position

                              With rubber scupper,  I'll cut the excess rubber at some point.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Coambing trim

The trim that covered the back side of the cockpit coambing was teak.  When I took it off in disigenerated in my hands.  Finding teak 1/4 round was not an option so I went to Lowes and got two 8 foot pine 1/4 rounds.  I stained them to match and put several coats of urethane on them.  On the starboard side there is a "hook" right at the back of the coambing.  My plan was to take that off and get rid of it.  So I get into the lazerlatte and start looking for the bolt. What I found was it is the diesel fuel tank vent!  So I cut a hole in the molding to fit around it.

Friday, April 18, 2014

Wow! updated

I got the stainless  rubrail back on the boat.  I also found a local sign maker to do the name and numbers.  Years ago I did the same kind of lettering on another boat.  It was very tedious getting the letters right.  The way it's done now is easy.  They put the letters sandwiched between sticky paper.  Peal the one backer off while applying the letters, then when it's right you peal the top layer off.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pullman sink

There was some chatter on the Alberg site about sinks in the head area.  This boat does not have one.  I thought that kind of odd given all the upgrades the previous owners did to this boat.  I'm told that some Albergs came with fold up sinks.  These are commonly referred to as Pullman sinks from the namesake railroad cars.  I'm going to build one.  I found a perfect bowl for this.  It came from Home Goods and is a two quart stainless steel  mixing bowl.  It will be mounted on a wood block with hinges for folding up.  I'll faberacate some kind of drain.  This will go nicely  with the mirror and the toothbrush holder...

I built a stand.  The hole is for a pump.  That will be stationary while the sink folds up. Still haven't figured out a drain.

Friday, April 11, 2014


What more can I say.  I'm really impressed with the paint.  It flowed with no runs or sags. I used a 1/4 inch nap roller. We'll do another coat on Sunday.  Update...  We got the second coat on the boat and it just looks like a million bucks.  I didn't do any of the work!  Shane did it all.


Sunday, April 6, 2014

Boot stripe

We're getting rid of the red on this boat.   Shane gets to do the paint.  He ran a painting company during college so he knows how to paint.  Two coats on the boot and then we will tackle the hull.   I bought 4 quarts of Rustoleum Topside marine paint.  Going to do that job next Friday.
Update on the bootstripe
  I put the second coat on and pulled the tape.  I also made a tiller cover.  I'm getting quite good at the sewing machine!

Friday, April 4, 2014

Woodwork is done

I finally got a fair day to re-install the cockpit coamings.  When I took these off last November the 1/4 round molding that covered the gap disintegrated.  I have a solution for that but it can wait for a while. I also rebuilt and refinished the drop boards. Main thing is the cockpit is back in order.  Next up is a pressure washer for all the dirt.

The marina where we are is under new management and they are going full tilt on rebuilding the docks and generally getting the place in nice shape.  They even put a little  house back on the dock.